Peppermint One 01042011 Respin Review [ScreenShots]

New spin of 'Peppermint one' operating system has been released some days ago. [Newslink]. I missed the news. It published on 04 January 2011. last weak I start to download new Peppermint one. Today it completed. I run 'Peppermint-One-01042011.iso' with the help of Virtual Box. Test different.
At the news post on Peppermint os homesite they said that only some change has been implied in this new respin. I am just pasting some text from the announcement post.
  1. The default kernel has been updated to 2.6.35 in order to stay more current regarding hardware support and to match the kernel in Peppermint Ice.
  2. The Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) has been completely removed from this edition in order to help with performance and to increase application modularity.
  3. The default screenshot application has been replaced with PyShot, a simple Python/GTK application contributed by our longtime friend and supporter, Ikey Doherty.
  4. Some low level utilities have been updated such as the GNU Coreutils to version 8.8, the Samba file sharing framework to 3.5.6, and others.
  5. Some user level applications have also received updates such as the PCManFM file manager to 0.9.8, LXTerminal to 0.1.9, and Firefox to 4.0b8
But I think they forget to mention a great change found on this new release. They said it only in half sentence at last number. This is about PCManFM file manager. Now PCManFM desktop icons are movable. So you can rearrange desktop icons just dragging it anywhere. Position of icons can be saved and restored. Day by day LXDE are becoming more popular for its various kind of feature. This is the newest one. I believe users like me feel more exciting with this new ability of pcmanfm.

After downloading and setting up in VirtualBox I found the screenshots published below one by one.


peppermintjan11fatal-error-loadpeppermint january 2011 fatal-error on load

At first I faced a waring of 'Fatal Error' message. It said:
FATA: Error inserting ramzswap (/lib/modules/2.6.35.22-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/ramzswap/rzmzswap.ko): Unknown sysmbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Then I have to see another warning message. It says
peppermintjan11load-delaypeppermint one january 2011 delayed on load
....[ 15.776935] piix4_smbus 0000:00:0s uninitialized - upgrade BIS or use force_addr=0*addr
peppermintjan11-loading-warningspeppermint os january 2011 loading time warnings
I am sorry to say that I don't know Greek language. But I saw some warining messages again for some seconds. And at last I reached to desktop.
peppermint january 2011 desktop screenshot
Nice new wallpaper. I like it.
MintInstallerMintInstaller7.1.7 as Software Center
This Peppermint operating system uses Mint Install as it's main software source. So installing any program is very easy and can be done various task at the same time. At least 30436 packages are waiting to download.
PCManFM0.9.7.8PCManFM updated to'PCManFM0.9.7.8'
So, Now desktop icons are movable. They can be rearranged and be saved.
desktop icons become movable on desktopDesktop icons are movable on new pcmanfm

Synaptic package managerSynaptic package manager 0.63.1
Synaptic package manager updated to its latest version. So searching any package become more easy.

Everything looks fine and satisfactory. And you know I must say for Peppermint os because I love it. But there are a problem I fond after running it for some minutes in VM. I found that title bars goes lost; look at the synaptic's image above. There are no titile bar at the top of synaptic's interface. Bottom main menu and panel also goes lost / disappeared, so can't run terminal and apply the commands found 'Title bar lost in Ubuntu". I don't know why this happening. Is it a kind of bug or my system's hidden problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help me to improve my English. Please Email me or comment below. Thanks...