- pclinuxos-openbox-2010-07.iso and
I know that PCLinuxOS is a Red Hat based distribution. Authority publish this distro decorating it with various desktop environment. It has kde, gnome, lxde, xfce, openbox various version. So, end user can choose it as their requirement. If anybody has modern, higher, powerful hardware then they should choose kde based version, if anybody want to try it on low-end machine, then they will choose lxde or xfce version. This is a really good and freindly idea. I like it.
You know, I am a fan of light and faster desktop environment. So, I peek LXDE version to introduce with you.
Features I found:
As the name says, this flavour based on LXDE. After testing Peppermint os and install LXDE on Ubuntu, I am quite familiar with this environment. So, I play with panel, menu, desktop decoration like theme, colour, icon, cursor. I also click on synaptic package manager and test configuration items on main menu. They changed its name. Originally it named 'preference'. This is not a subject to discuss. They can do it.
- AbiWord is added by default. But anybody can download Openoffice by clicking on 'Get OpenOffice' button.
- MP3 don't start with double click. It require drag and drop on LX Music Player.
- Default video player is SM Player. It can play many video format. I tried with mpg, mpeg, flv, avi etc. and succeed.
- Folders or files are selecting automatically. At first I thought that my mouse has problem. But after some seconds I understood that it is a feature.
- Firefox is default web browser.
- GIMP, Imagemagick, MTPaint are added on Graphics section.
- They also added Bleachbit, the great system cleaner
What I found different?
Nope. There is no any special application which I have not found on Peppermint or LXDE on Ubuntu. But I have found a huge difference with other distro in a fancy area. It is on 'Screen Saver' section. If you like various kind of screensaver then you might like this distro very much. I don't like this kind of graphical illusionary thing so much. Actually I don't need to use screensaver too often. Though, I should say that I found some screensaver here, which I wish to get on Ubuntu or Peppermint os by default.
And last, I must say that, I would not recommend PCLinuxOS to you. Why? Read the next post.